We will do our utmost to help and ensure a pleasant flight for those adults and families who travel with children within their party.
We consider those passengers aged 11 years and 11 months or younger to be Children, and refer to newborns up to the age of 1 year 11 months as Infants.
Children travelling in Economy Class are allowed 1 piece of 23 kgs free baggage weight, depending on the Product selected. If travelling with a Go Light ticket, no check-in baggage is allowed. Children travelling in Business Class are entitled to the same allowance as adults are. An Infant is allowed 10 kgs checked-in baggage when travelling on all fares with the exception of Go Light. If travelling on a Go Light fare, an Infant is not entitled to any baggage allowance.
Baggage-pooling is not permitted between passengers travelling on the same routing to the same final destination.
A collapsible buggy is carried free of charge on all Air Malta operated flights. You may keep the buggy until you get to the aircraft steps. It will then be stowed in the aircraft hold, and will be delivered to you with your baggage upon arrival at your destination.
As infants travelling on Air Malta flights do not occupy a seat, for added comfort you may wish to purchase an extra seat through our international call centre. This will allow you to carry any Air Malta approved car-seats or booster seat on board our aircraft to be used by your infant during the flight. Customers can carry a collapsible buggy and a car seat together as long as the infant has a seat.
For a car-seat to be acceptable, the following criteria must be met. This information is normally available in the Manufacturer’s user manual or website:
- Certified according to the European Technical Standard Order ETSO-C100c on Aviation Child Safety Device (ACSD); OR
- Approved by EASA through a Type Certificate or Supplemental Type Certificate; OR
- Meeting the technical standards specified below.
- UN Standard ECE R44-04 (or 03), or ECE R129 bearing the respective ‘ECE R’ label; AND
- German ‘Qualification Procedure for Child Restraint Systems for Use in Aircraft’ (TÜV/958-01/2001) bearing the label ‘For Use in Aircraft’
- Certified according to Canadian CMVSS 213/213.1 bearing the respective label; OR
- Certified according to US FMVSS No 213 and bearing one or two labels displaying the following two sentences:
- ‘THIS CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEM CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS’; and
- in red letters ‘THIS RESTRAINT IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT’; OR
- Certified according to Australia/New Zealand’s technical standard AS/NZS 1754:2013 bearing the green part on the label displaying ‘For Use in Aircraft’
Infants travelling on infant fares (no seat) must be passengers who are under the age of 2 years for the entire journey (ie, departure date of all segments within ticket validity). An infant who reaches his/her second birthday before utilizing the return segment of the air ticket will be classified as child for the return segment. Air ticket reservations for such cases may be made with our International Call Centre, Air Malta sales offices or your travel agent. Online bookings are not possible.