Bring your sports equipment with you
For the active traveller
Malta and the surrounding islands offer a great haven for sports enthusiasts. Hiking, diving, rock-climbing, cycling, water-skiing and much more can be explored once you get here.
Whether you’re a professional practitioner or simply want to try out something more adrenaline-fueled, we’ve prioritised your needs and are offering you great deals on your sports equipment. Here’s a detailed rundown of what we offer our sports-loving passengers:
Fares on baggage for sports travellers
One piece. One fee. Reduced for online bookings.
Enjoying your favourite sport abroad shouldn’t be expensive or difficult. That’s why we’ve decided to simplify our fares on sports baggage. At only €40 per piece per flight when booking on our site, we’re simply giving you the power to follow through with your passion and enjoy your trip.
How and when to book
- Sports equipment vouchers can be bought by calling our Call Centre on +356 21 662 211.
- Booking can be made up to 4 hours prior departure
Available on the following sports items
The above fee applies only to sports equipment in the following list. Keep in mind that all these items should be checked-in separately from the rest of baggage in the proper sports equipment bag.
- Archery equipment
- Bowling balls - maximum four balls plus shoes
- Cricket equipment
- Croquet clubs
- Dance sports
- Diving equipment
- Golf clubs
- Hockey equipment
- Kite surfing equipment
- Sailing kits
- Skiing equipment
- Water skis
- Abseiling Equipment
- Football Equipment
- Rock Climbing
- Tennis Equipment
Remember. Fencing and Archery equipment must be stored in a hard container to avoid damage and must be checked-in, not carried as hand-luggage.
All baggage items that are not listed above are charged according to normal excess baggage charges.
Read the sports equipment terms and conditions
- Each voucher is valid for every piece of sports equipment.
- Sports equipment is to be packed separately.
- Excess baggage voucher is to be presented during check-in.
- Each voucher is valid on a one way trip basis.
- Maximum weight per bag must not exceed 32 Kilos.
- Fee is non-refundable, non-transferable.
- Vouchers may be purchased up to 4 hours prior to departure.
Some final notes to keep in mind
- Fees and conditions apply on Air Malta operated flights only.
- When sports equipment is checked in through to final destination on interline journeys involving carriage on both an Air Malta operated flight and another airline, the other airline's rules may apply in certain cases.
- Don't forget to print your Sports Baggage Voucher and to present it at check-in. Vouchers will be charged €60 per piece per flight if bought at the airport.
- If you need to bring over items such as musical instruments, or equipment for infants and children, these items must be booked in advance. Visit the special baggage category transport to learn more.
- If you have any questions, please contact our international call centre.